Sometimes I have an idea in my head of what I’m craving or what I want to make. Other times, I stroll around the grocery store and something catches my eye and gives me an idea. This is what happened to me with bowl.
I was walking around Trader Joe’s, and the shiitake mushrooms caught my eye. Once I saw them, I immediately knew I was in the mood for Asian flavors. I improvised with the flavors, but my go – to’s are usually sesame oil, soy sauce, and sriracha.
If you try this dish or if it inspires you to make something similar, please comment below and let me know!
Asian Flavors Bowl
- 1 C shiitake mushrooms stems removed
- 1 C eggplant diced into 1/2in squares
- 1 bunch broccolini
- 1 C snap peas
- 1 C julienned carrot
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 green onions sliced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds optional
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lime
- Warm a pan over med/high heat and add 1 tbsp sesame oil.
- Once hot, add the mushrooms and eggplant and cook until slightly browned in places (about 4-5 minutes). I kept them separate in the pan for plating purposes.
- Add 2 tbsps soy sauce and cook for about 1 minute more.
- Add sesame seeds to eggplant if using and remove both from pan.
- Cut about 1 inch off broccolini ends and heat pan with a little olive oil over med/high heat.
- Add minced garlic and cook for about a minute.
- Add broccolini and continue cooking for about 3 minutes.
- Add 1/4 C water to the pan, cover it and turn heat to low. Steam like this for about 5 minutes or until broccolini is bright green and tender to a fork. Remove from pan.
- Add a little more sesame oil to the pan over med heat and add snap peas. Cook for a few minutes until they are bright green.
- Add 2 cups cooked quinoa to each bowl. Place the carrots in the center and the cooked veggies around them.
- If you choose, sprinkle with sliced green onions, more soy sauce and some sriracha.
- Serve with lime wedges and enjoy!