Want an easy way to cook a bunch of veggies without using a million pots and pans? Go for a hash! I cooked all of this in one pan, which made clean up nice and easy. It’s filled with vegetables and the perfectly filling combo of protein and good carbs.
There’s a little prep time up front, mainly having to do with chopping. So, get your cutting board and knife ready, put on some music and get that food prepped to cook.
I used 1 large sweet potato and 1/2 of a head of cauliflower. You can peel the potato if you want, but I did not. Chop them into bite sizes pieces. De-stem the kale and chop the leaves, mince the garlic, slice bell pepper (I used a few minis because that’s what I had), slice the lemon in half and partially mash the chickpeas. Now you’re ready to cook!
Heat a little olive oil in a pan over med/high heat. Once hot, add the garlic, sweet potatoes and cauliflower along with a little salt and pepper.
Cook until starting to brown, about 8-10 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of water and cover the pot. Lower heat to low/med and steam veggies until soft, about 5 minutes.
Uncover and turn the heat back up. Add the bell peppers slices and chickpeas, along with the chili powder, turmeric and paprika. Cook all together for about 5 minutes, using the spatula to scrap from the bottom. Add the kale and squeeze the lemon juice over it all. Cover the pan and turn the heat down to low. Steam for about 3 minutes, until the kale is bright green and wilted.
Divide between plates, add your sliced scallions, some avocado slices and sprinkle with hot sauce if you choose. Enjoy!
Please leave a comment below if you try it and let me know what you think!
Sweet Potato Chickpea and Cauliflower Hash
- 1 large sweet potato diced into bite size pieces
- 1/2 head of cauliflower broken into bite size florets
- 7.5 oz. chickpeas (half of a 15oz can)
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 4 cups kale leaves chopped
- 4 mini bell peppers (or 1 bell pepper) sliced
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- olive oil for cooking
- salt and pepper
- Make sure all of your vegetables are prepped based on the notes above
- Heat a large pan over med/high heat with a little olive oil to coat the pan
- Add garlic, sweet potatoes and cauliflower and a little salt and pepper and cook for about 8-10minutes, until started to brown
- Add 1/4C water, cover pan and turn to low/med heat. Steam for about 5 minutes.
- Uncover and turn the heat back up. Add the chickpeas, bell pepper, turmeric, chili powder and paprika and cook for about 5 more minutes, scraping the bottom of the pan with your spatula
- Add the kale to pan and squeeze lemon juice over it all. Cover again and turn the heat to low. Cook for about 3 more minutes until the kale is bright green and wilted. Add more salt and pepper if you choose.
- Divide between plates, add green onion and whatever else you choose to put in it, like avocado and hot sauce. Enjoy!