Ok, this is it. This is THE Best Ever Veggie Sandwich. Ever. Haha, well I guess I’ll leave that to you to decide. But seriously, this is definitely my favorite. It’s filled with vegetables of all different textures, has creaminess from the spreads and the bread is garlicky and toasted to perfection.
Start by steaming some sweet potato rounds. I like to do this regularly just to have some on hand throughout the week. It makes life easier because I pretty much always want sweet potatoes in my meals. My kids like them too!
I boil about 1 inch of water in a big pot, then place the steaming pot in with the potatoes, cover it and turn the heat to low. This allows the potatoes to steam without burning. It takes about 10 minutes and I know they’re ready when I can easily pierce them with a fork.
You can fill your sandwich with anything you want. But in addition to the sweet potatoes, I like to add the rainbow with lettuce, sprouts, cucumber, red onion, tomato, avocado and purple cabbage.
Once of the most important parts of a sandwich is the bread. Don’t you agree? For this sandwich, I used the most fluffy and delicious sour dough bread from Whole Foods.
First, I sliced a garlic clove in half. Then I rubbed the garlic on what will become the outsides of the sandwich. Then, I used a grill pan to toast those sides to perfection. I put the heat up to med/high heat, and let it toast for about 4-5 minutes, checking it to make sure it wasn’t burnt.
Please comment below if you try this and let me know what you think!
The Best Ever Veggie Sandwich
- 4 pieces sour dough bread
- 1 garlic glove
- 2 tbsp hummus
- 1 avocado
- 1 large tomato sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 cup sliced steamed sweet potatoes 1/4 inch thick
- 1 cucumber sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1 cup sprouts
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- Slice a garlic clove in half
- Rub the garlic on what will be the outside pieces of the sour dough bread
- Heat a grill pan over med/heat and place the garlic side of the bread on the pan. Toast for about 5 minutes or until toasted to your liking. (You can also toast other way if you choose)
- Mash the avocado and spread it on one piece of your bread (on the non-toasted side)
- On the other piece of bread, spread hummus
- Build your sandwich by adding the other goodies listed above
- Slice it in half and enjoy!