Ok, this is something you HAVE to make! I cannot get over how amazing it was. I can’t take credit for the idea though, because it was totally my husband’s vision. I, personally, have not had much experience with Taco Bell, but he definitely has and he thought it would be awesome to try to recreate and veganize one of his old time favorites.
It was our first time using the Beyond Beef and it was the absolute perfect meal to try it out with. I’m so excited about this and I can’t wait to make it for everyone to try! You can use any or all of the fillings. We clearly loaded ours, but that’s the way we like it!
Make sure you have both small, hard shell tostadas (or make your own with corn tortillas) for the crunch, and large flour tortillas (about double the size of the small one) so can wrap everything up nicely. The key is in the wrapping so check out my one – handed video to see how it’s done. 🙂
Did you notice my little trick? Make sure you break off a little piece of tortilla (about a 2 square inches) to stick in the middle so when you wrap it, it all gets covered without leaving a gap.
Once you have all of your Crunch Wrap Supremes rolled, it’s time to sear them in a little olive oil over medium/high heat. I start with the seal side down and then flip them when they start to get golden brown. It helps to press down lightly around the edges with the back of a spatula to make sure it browns evenly.
These go great with chips and salsa or even a plate of jicama with a mango guacamole. Whatever you choose to eat them with, you will love them!
Please comment below if you try them and let me know what you think!
The Vegan Crunch Wrap Supreme
- 4 hard shell, small round tostadas
- 5 large flour tortillas
- 1 package Beyond beef
- 1 package taco seasoning (save 1/4 of package for "sourcream" below)
- 1 can black beans – drained, rinsed and mashed
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 cups lettuce (we used chopped romaine)
- 1 cup cooked corn
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1/2 cup diced jalapeños
- 1 cup mashed avocado or guacamole
- 1 cup hot sauce (optional)
- olive oil for pan searing
- 1 cup vegan yogurt (we used almond milk yogurt)
- 1/4 cup taco seasoning (can use from same package as above)
- Cook Beyond Beef according to package instructions. Add 3/4 of package of taco seasoning while cooking
- Make vegan "sour cream" by mixing the yogurt and seasoning together in a bowl
- On a large tortilla, add your fillings (including one small tostada) to to the center of the large tortilla, spreading them out but trying not to go wider than the diameter of the small tortilla. I recommend placing the hard shell between the lettuce and the outside of the large tortilla so it stays crunchy and not soggy.
- Break off a piece of the extra tortilla (about a 2 in. squar) to place in the center before wrapping the large tortilla around (otherwise there would be a gap.
- Wrap the large tortilla, by crimping in the edges around the small tortilla, one segment at a time (see my video above for a visual). When you get to the last piece, use a little of the "sourcream" as glue to hold it down.
- Heat a litte oil in a large pan over medium/high heat. Place the crunch wrap supreme seal side down and cook for a few minutes until golden brown. Flip and repeat.